11 May 2011

Is there Life after Wheels (notes from a pedestrian bus passenger)


A different way to journey through Life

My faithful old Fiat Punto has finally gone to that big garage in the sky after racking up a tremendous 123K miles and taking me safely from one end of the country to the other - and lots of places in between.

It has been packed with people going to parties, funerals, special events and occasions, school-runs, hospital visits - (emergency and otherwise) and six years of daily trips to work during rush hours there and back.

It has also hauled household furniture and goods (during four house moves), dozens of assorted loads of assorted rubbish (to dozen of trips to the municipal tip), taken me on autumn forays into farm yards to haul bags of manure, and into the local woods and bye ways searching for mushrooms, blackberries and other countryside treasures. It has motored along scenic coastal routes and traveled across moors and along motorways - got me safely and on time to airports, coach terminals, train stations and ferry ports.

It has been my constant companion for eleven years - my independence. It has given me the opportunity to go to places and enjoy the company of friends and relatives otherwise out of reach. I have enjoyed private solitude inside it's familiar cocoon when I needed to be alone - to travel into another world with just my thoughts and with my music or favorite radio program...

However, from today (11 May 2011) I embark on a new journey. A life without wheels of my own ... a life where I will learn how to travel on public transport. It's a daunting thought and I'm just a bit apprehensive ... it's going to be difficult to set out from home without all the stuff I usually just throw into the boot. It's going to take a bit of planning. But it's a new way to travel and I will have to master it .... It's going to be cheaper (that's a good thing) and I might even meet some new people on my journey (that can be good too..) So... here I go.... I'll keep a record of some of the places I get to and how I manage along the way... watch this space then... who knows, there might be some lovely surprises ahead, just around the corner



No comments:

Post a Comment