11 March 2011

Finished.... my first attempt at quilting


For such a long time now I've wanted to try my hand at quilting. I was inspired by the quilts my sister-in-law (Vicky) has made. Vicky has made many, many quilts and has given them as presents to friends and family. Each one has been lovingly hand sewn and they are, without exception, beautiful and are destined to be treasured heirlooms used and handed down through the ages. So... after many false starts I finally cut out the pieces and began to piece together my first 'baby' quilt. This little quilt is just about big enough to cover a cot or to use in a pram or pushchair. It's a very simple design but even so it took me quite a while to plan the blocks and borders and to choose colours that would blend together nicely. I'm really pleased with the result... although it's obviously a beginners quilt with lots of little mistakes - I've a lot to learn and many hours of sewing to do before I can achieve anything as beautiful as Vicky lovingly makes. But I've made a start and I plan to begin another one, for my granddaughter which I hope she will treasure. I'll enjoy choosing the fabric and piecing them to make a special gift for her. It may be some time before I post another picture of a finished quilt... but I'm on my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment